Skip to main content

By Failing To Google, You're Preparing To Fail

   In this post, I'll be discussing a unique and inspired sitcom idea that I had with my good friend, and South America travel companion, James.


   The idea was conceived in the midst of a hellish 43 hour bus ride between Ecuador and Peru. Could we, two middle class fuddy-duddies, born and raised on separate sides of the Watford Gap, compose a piece about the second coming of Christ? Of course we could...

The Plot

Manchester, 1994*

Following the demise of the Madchester scene, Chris Turley and Tony Digest, perennial party people, attempt to go cold turkey. Tony vigorously sticks to his abstinence, terrified of the repercussions of Mary, his girlfriend. Chris, however, struggles and it's not long until he's bouncing off the walls again in The Haçienda.

With clarity restored (and coinciding with the much-anticipated release of The Stone Roses Second Coming album), Tony begins to notice strange and mysterious similarities between Chris's life and that of the late Jesus Christ.

He bears witness to Chris going berserk at a car boot sale (John 2:14 - Jesus gets angry at the market and upturns some tables), him inadvertently exposing a "blind" benefit fraudster (John 9:1-12 - Jesus Heals a Man Born Blind) and spends 40 days and 40 nights worrying after Chris goes AWOL after attending Wilderness Festival (Matthew 4:1-11 - Jesus Is Tested in the Wilderness).

Is this strange run of events all a huge coincidence? Does the title of his favourite bands upcoming album have a deeper relevance? Will anyone believe the former wreck-head's divine observations?

Mary, sensing an opportunity to make a quick buck, sets about persuading Tony to go to the local rag with his amazing revelations. Despite protesting "the press will crucify him", Tony puts in a call. Unfortunately this plan backfires, as The Manchester Evening News bring his delusional story to the attention of the local mental health service.

He's subsequently sectioned under the Mental Health Act, 1983, and detained in an old rundown mental hospital on the outskirts of Salford. 

Many months later an unkempt Chris, adorned in tatty robes and sandals acquired from a nearby skip, pays Tony a surprise visit. They sit facing each other on plastic chairs in a padded room. Suddenly Tony's mouth drops open, as his eye catches the security pass hanging from Chris's neck... which reads in big, bold capital letter 'CHRIS.T'

The audience are left mildly amused. 'What in heaven's name have we just watched?'

Conclusion

    Safe in the knowledge we'd struck gold, we googled Second Coming, just on the extreme off chance anything like this had been conceived of before.

   OH COME ON!!! The Second Coming? Christopher Eccelston? Russel T. Davies? ITV? Manchester? 2003? What the...? Could we change the name to Coming Second and hope no one notices? Of course not, you get nothing for coming second.

   Thankfully all is not lost, as the pair's dealer, Richard Gear, the real star of the show, will almost certainly be used in an offshoot, following his adventures marauding the streets of Manchester, dealing drugs (including, amongst others, his very own Cocaine and Heroin mix 'An Officer And A Gentleman', an extra strong dosage of Rohypnol 'Pretty Woman', and a suppository called 'the Gerbil').

   Yesterday I asked my co-dreamweaver James for a quote to accompany my article, to which he enthusiastically replied, 'It's your life mate, just don't use that picture of me'.

---

*Whilst many a "claimant" predicted the second coming of Christ would be in the year 2000, some "scholars" maintain that he could have been born as early as 6BC. Hence, 1994.

Someone was listening in History class.

<< As If I'd Never Been Away / Football 'Pitches' >>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling All Office Fans

    Who's been to the Coventry Conference? Ah yes, the fictional Coventry Conference, co-ordinated by the equally fictional Eric Hitchmough . A man whom I've never fictionally met, or even seen, yet know so much about. From his little withered hand, the wanking claw , to his signature catchphrase, ' I don't agree with that in the workplace !' Eric is... and that is what I want.    If I've lost you, I can only assume you're not quite the fan of The Office that I called for in the title of this post, or I'm not the writer that I think I am! Allow me to explain...    T he Office is the single greatest sitcom of all time, sure, so it makes sense for it's legion of fans to have a social outlet to congregate and quote the show to their heart's content. The Facebook group ' Do You Not Know Who ERIC HITCHMOUGH Is' ,  DYNKWEHI , provides such a platform.    With it's mix of quality quoting, imaginative imagery and creative commenting,

(Joint) Employee Of The Month...

...isn't something to be sniffed at. Just because I wasn't good enough to win it outright doesn't make me sad in the slightest. So when the honour was bestowed upon Internet Enquiries earlier this year, in one of the summer months' beginning with 'J', I was pleasantly surprised. Fast forward to November, a month beginning with 'N' that falls somewhere in the middle of autumn, and we'd finally settled on a location for our victory meal. It was a triple celebration for myself, having of course also won Morsel of the Month in September and having had a haircut in October. The meal itself went off without a hitch. We even found someone with a disposable camera to take a picture of us... The team: circa 1996/97 - 2014 ...I only managed a starter and main myself, but had a lovely selection of cheese and crackers waiting for me on my return home. It's at this juncture I feel it appropriate to plot my 2014 achievements on a line gra

London Actually

   London has literally been around forever. With a multitude of sights, sounds, smells and tastes, there's something for everyone. In the past month, I myself have begun to scratch the surface on weekends. Come forth and let me share my experiences. Or, if you want to know what it's really like, watch Love Actually .    My first jaunt was to a cinema so secret, it's called Secret Cinema . The date was Sunday 5th March, the film Moulin Rouge . For those unfamiliar with the concept, you while away an evening in a purpose built set, combining live action performances with a screening of the film in question. Nothing's secret really, as the film and location are provided beforehand. Presumably, this is so people aren't left wandering the streets, wondering what they've signed up for.    Photos are strictly forbidden, but I'd describe my venture to late 19th century Montmartre as boozy, magical and slightly embarrassing, when one of the actors tried to make